Pages

6.28.2012

Scrap Paper Pinwheels

Who knew how easy pinwheels were to make? These literally took me under 10 minutes. They're really fun and add a pop of color to any space - perfect for our family room, which was dominated by gray and white at the time I made these (we've since added lots of turquoise!). I think they look cute in the vase, and I cannot kill the pinwheels as I tend to do with flowers, so that's a bonus!



I found a great tutorial from kiki creates, so I decided to give them a whirl.

I didn't follow the template exactly because I don't have a printer at home, but they still came out fine. This is how I did it:
  • Start by cutting 2 scrapbook papers to 6" x 6" squares.
  • Glue the papers together with rubber cement (I didn't have spray adhesive) - coat each page with the rubber cement and let it dry, then carefully paste the pages together so they're even. Letting the rubber cement dry first, allows for a more secure bond, but you do need to be careful lining everything up. 
  • I then used kiki's template to guide me where to cut the lines and punch the holes.
  • I used my ruler and lined up diagonally from point to point, leaving about 1-1/2" in the middle.
  • For the holes, I didn't really measure, just used her guide to eyeball it, marked the 4 spots.
  • Then take each point and line up your holes with the center hole, folding toward the front and going clockwise.
  • Once you have everything lined up, secure the pinwheels with a brad. I used a very plain brad, but depending on your paper, you could use something more fancy, perhaps a sparkly rhinestone brad?
  • The brads are secured on the back to floral wire for the stands.
I made the pinwheel on the right a little bit larger and used double sided scrap booking paper, so I didn't need my rubber cement. I stopped at two, but am thinking about adding a third one b/c I don't like symmetry and think the vase would look nice with one more. 



These pinwheels made from maps are pretty awesome too! Since I love to travel, I might make some of these to put in what will be my travel-themed office.


What easy 10 minute project have you whipped up lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment