Pages

1.26.2012

Chicken with Israeli Couscous, Spinach & Feta

I hate cooking. I don't know what it is but I just find it stressful, I hate the mess it makes (prob got that from my mom!) and I am usually awful at it. So Jon does most of the cooking in our house (while I drink the wine). I do however love to bake and am pretty good at that.




But, I stumbled across this recipe by searching for recipes with some ingredients I already had on hand - chicken & Israeli couscous. Israeli couscous is so much better than regular couscous, by the way. This dinner was super easy to make and ended up being edible (which is always a plus!) and actually pretty tasty. It was filling & healthy too. Thought I'd share the wealth. Forgive the horrible iPhone photo, but that's all I had with me. Plus food usually doesn't photograph that well when I'm behind the camera anyway.


The only thing I would change is to eliminate a little of the lemon juice. It was really lemony...I think that was from the dressing I put on at the end, so I'd probably do slightly less than that. Otherwise...yum!


Chicken with Israeli Couscous, Spinach and Feta
2 servings


1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 (6 to 8 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
Table salt and ground black pepper
3 TBL olive oil
3/4 cup Israeli couscous
1 shallot, minced (about 3 TBL) - I used regular onions b/c we didn't have shallots 
3 garlic cloves, minced (about 3 TBL)
1/2 tsp grated zest plus 3 TBL fresh juice from 1 lemon
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
6 oz baby spinach (about 6 cups)
2 oz feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)


1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 200 degrees. Place the flour in a shallow dish. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt & pepper. Working with one breast at a time, dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off excess.


2. Heat 1 TBL of the oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Lay the chicken breasts in the skillet and cook until well browned on the first side, 6 to 8 minutes. Flip and reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook until the thickest part of the breast registers 160 to 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 6 to 8 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to a plate, tent loosely with foil, and let rest in the warm oven while prepping the couscous.


3. Wipe out the skillet with a wad of paper towels. Add 1 TBL oil and the couscous to the skillet and toast over medium heat until light golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in the shallot, 2 tsp of the garlic, 1/4 tsp of the lemon zest, and 1/8 tsp of the pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.


4. Stir in the broth and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until the liquid is absorbed and the couscous is al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.


5. Meanwhile, whisk 1 TBL of the lemon juice, remaining 1 TBL of oil, remaining 1 tsp garlic, remaining 1/4 tsp lemon zest and remaining 1/8 tsp pepper flakes together in a small bowl.


6. Stir in the spinach, one handful at a time, into the skillet and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, stir in the feta and remaining 1 TBL lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide the couscous between two plates and top with the chicken. Drizzle with the lemon juice mixture, serve and enjoy!


Do you have any quick go to recipes to make after work? Share with me!

~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment